Preventative & Routine Care
Checkup’s and routine cleanings aren’t just about keeping your smile bright and white. Planning out preventive and routine care plays a significant role in your health and prevents tooth decay and other dental complications. Early detection is crucial and can mean less extensive and expensive treatment. Compliment your at-home care with chairside guidance.
Your cleaning and checkup will include:
- Before your check-up, we will review your chart and history to quickly find any problem areas or identify troubling patterns.
- We may take prescribed x-rays if previous x-rays are outdated or there are signs of problems we can’t see on the surface.
- We will ask you about your own experiences with your oral health and overall health. There are many medical conditions and medications outside of the mouth which can affect your oral health.
- We will give your teeth a deep clean by scaling stuck-on plaque and tartar where it has hardened, beneath the gumline and in other hard to reach places.
- Your head and neck will be gently examined for abnormalities.
- After hard and soft deposits have been cleaned away, we will polish your teeth to remove stains and to bring out the best of your smile.
- We will take a close look at your tongue, gums, teeth and all other areas of your mouth with a special focus on the gumline.
- We will update you on your personal oral care and answer any questions you have about your oral health and what you can do to stay happy and healthy.
Frequently Asked Questions
We recommend booking a cleaning and dental exam every 6 to 8 months.
Don’t Wait! If you have any pain or discomfort in your mouth, call us and book a consultation today. Catch the issue right away before it grows into a major problem.
You often hear about the importance of brushing and flossing. That’s because regularly brushing and flossing your teeth is incredibly effective at preventing cavities and gum disease. We recommend twice a day, but the important thing is to find a routine and the brush, toothpaste and floss that work for you!
Appointment times vary from person to person but it usually takes about an hour for a cleaning & checkup appointment.
During your checkup and cleaning, we will brush up on your history, ask you if you’ve had any recent issues or problems, thoroughly exam your teeth, gums and general oral health. We may investigate problem areas by prescribing x-rays or recommending additional procedures. We will also clean stubborn plaque from your teeth and gum line and polish your pearly whites to bring out the best of your smile.
Absolutely. Checkups are for your whole mouth. Gums, tongue, bones and all. If you wear dentures we still want to see you to ensure your dentures are in good shape and fit correctly and to examine the rest of your mouth and oral health.